Nov 30, 2007

Cough - Home remedies.

Cough has been my loyal companion since childhood. After having tried many different medicines and remedies, I met a Ayurveda doctor who prescribed some simple diet restrictions for me. The day I don't follow the restrictions, the cough is back, but leaves in a couple of days.


As a result of my long association with cough, I have had a lot of people give me different remedies. From auto drivers to maids, from college lecturers to bus drivers, from aunts to neighbors, all have advised me. Most of them have helped. Below is a list of some of them which helped me.

  • The best home remedy for cough is gargling and steaming. Gargling with warm salt water or even with mouth wash helps. Steaming with a little eucalyptus oil added to the water does wonder for both cough and cold.
  • Tulsi-Ginger tea soothes your throat and clears chest congestion. In two glasses of water add generous amount of tulsi and some squashed fresh ginger Boil till water becomes 1 glass. Add jaggery if needed. Drink hot.
  • Fresh ginger juice mixed with honey is good to clear chest congestion.
  • Honey with freshly ground pepper powder gives relief from throat irritation.
  • A piece of clove or some sugar crystals suppresses the cough. Not a cure though but helpful nevertheless.
  • A glass of milk with honey/turmeric in the night is also a decent cure.

Make sure that you have warm liquids only.

This is just a compilation from my experiences. Hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment