Dec 5, 2007

What is with English?

English was my favorite language in childhood. When was just 2 years old, I would go up to my dad and ask him to teach me English. This was a story that my father would proudly tell, for a long time, to anyone who cared to listen. That aside, there was something about English that attracted me. And now it pains to see it butchered.

Consider the SMS language - have is spelt hv, ur is your, d is the, 4 is for and many more. Then there are the new acronyms - 2G4Y is too good for you, LOL is for laughing out loud, etc.

This kind of writing is not just used in SMS but sometimes also in official letter. I was appalled to see a official letter for my junior filled with the 'SMS language'. This was not just my experience, a lot of others in office faced this. This prompted the management to conduct a training on letter writing and email etiquette's for the freshers in the company.

Sad state of affiars for English. A English and Communication Skills program has been added by a few universities for the engineering students. I don't know if the same is done in othwer streams too. Good step to solve the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment