Jan 16, 2007

The Aishwarya Rai Marketing Model

Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai got engaged finally on Sunday. But lets look at Aishwarya as a marketing 'model'...yes you read it right marketing model. I know she is a model, (I would call her a model and not insult the institution of acting.) but where does marketing fit here?

Well, the west considers her to be the biggest star in Bollywood, a diva. Oh! give me a break, she has had just three hits in her 7/8 year career. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam - This is the only movie where I liked her, Devdas - ShahRukh and Madhuri were the stars there, she was just a there (Just see the Dola Re song and you'll know) and Dhoom2 - I must agree she looked great, but Hrithik was better and more sexier. Guru is doing well and the critics have loved Ash in the movie, but I haven't seen it so - no comments.

So, with three hits in her kitty, madam heads west, markets herself very well and lands with projects there, which also incidentally flop. And she still is a star. Well this is marketing at its best!!

One thing she has done right is to be associated with the right people. When she came in movies, Salman was big, she became his girlfriend. He was too much to handle, and when he went down, she went around with Vivek Oberoi. Vivek wad then considered to be super-star-in-waiting. He flopped and she broke-up with him. Now Abhishek Bachchan is the new superstar- she is Abhishek's fiancee.

I may be wrong, and have made Ash as a manipulative lady, but thats what I see. All Ash fans please excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment