Jan 12, 2007

Radio stations in Bangalore

Sometime in mid 2006, there was a exponential increase in the no. of radio stations in Bangalore. For nearly 4-5 years, Radio City ruled the roost and they were or are still pretty good. There was just the government run FM Rainbow for competition. Well, I wouldn't call that competition.

And then all of a sudden you had radio stations sprouting like weeds everywhere. It was good news for sometime because I had a lot to choose from and at that time I owned a mobile with inbuilt radio. If I didn't like the song playing in one station, I would shift to another. But after sometime, they really got on to my nerves. What with that fake accent and rowdy Kannada, the slogan competition - they were fighting like cats and dogs. Consider this - one channel calls themselves the coolest, the other the hottest, another one bindas, and yet another mast!!!

The most irritating part of all the new stations are the RJs. Radio Mirchi started the trend of RJs speaking in Kannada. Good idea, but why put in the fake kannada accent!! But they are bearable. But there are a couple of new stations (BigFM and SFM) that went overboard. Their Kannada is really horrible - horrible is a soft word for them. And these people try to teach Kannada to the non-Kannadigas in Bangalore. Oh please!! stop doing it. Stop murdering the wonderful language. I'm no great lover of Kannada but I do respect the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment