Nov 20, 2006

Vivah

On Saturday I watched Vivah with my mother and granny. I was sort of looking forward to watching it - mainly because of the mixed reviews I read for the movie, but my expectations weren't high. Out of the previous Barjatiya movies - I loved Maine Pyar Kiya and Hum Aapke Hain Koun, managed to sit thru Hum Saath Saath Hai and walked out of Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon.

The story is simple - rich city boy Prem (Shahid Kapur) meets middle class, simple, town girl Poonam (Amrita Rao) for marriage. And in the first meeting they say yes!!! Then there are a couple of songs showing their courtship. The second half is more interesting. The bonding and understanding between the couples is shown. The twist in tale comes in the last 40 min.

Honestly, I liked the movie. Mainly because it reminded me of the many wonderful moments in my life. And also there is a honesty in the story telling. Let me just list out the plus and minus points in the movies.

First minus points:
- Some songs could have been removed and the movie could have been shorter- this comment is always there in most Barjatiya movies;-)
- Poonam is too good to be true. She could have been a little bit more modern. It would have then made a very interesting courtship.
- One thing that irritated me was 'jal'. They use the word jal for pani!!
- The 'town' Madhupur is almost a village - no mobiles!!!
- The small black phone is too old for 2006.

Plus
- The moments. Shall write more abt this later.
- Sweet simple love story.
- No extended family - no mamas, doctor chacha, etc.
- The end 40 min when Prem supports Poonam thru her troubles. Pretty well shot and enacted by the actors.
- Liked the sets.
- Small kid - Rahul

The moments were the wonderful part of the movie. I guess I liked it more because I could relate to some of it. The part when the guy's family comes to see the girl. It was almost like how it happened in my life. The girl and the guy stealing glances at each other. Loved that. The song Milan abhi Adha Adhura has many more such cute scenes. A bit old-fashioned but still cute. Then the way Poonam awaits for Prem or his calls. Really cute. And of course the end when Prem says 'I'll do the dressing'.

In the acting department I liked most of them but Amrita Rao is sometimes too obvious. Music is a big let down. I only liked Do Anjane Ajanabe for its relavent to the story. Direction good but the script could have been tighter and the movie shorter by atleast 1/2 hr.

When I was getting out of the theatre I was thinking would Arvindh have married me if I had a similar mishap. The answer came immediately, YES! Was wondering why I ever got this thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment