Dec 14, 2006

Bhanu didi, Narayan Murthy and Nandan Nilekani

Yesterday I had the privilege to share a table with all the three esteemed people mentioned above. I unwillingly attended a wedding which played hosts to these people.

One of the Arvindh's acquaintances' (Manju) daughter was getting married and since he is taking a course, I was to represent us in the wedding. I didn't know Manju, but went along because - first, Tithi was coming (It was long time since I spoke to her) and second, the wedding was at Taj West End. I wasn't even dressed for the occasion.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Mrs. Sudha Murthy welcoming the guests. Then Tithi told me that Murthys and Manju's family are friends. Manju's husband was also a part of Infosys for sometime.

The bride and groom could give a complex to Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan - the groom was about 6'6" and the bride was just 5'!!! We met Bhanu didi and Sens and were hanging around her. After we wished the couple, Mrs. Sudha Murthy was there again to graciously request us to proceed for dinner. For the first course, we shared the table with Bhanu didi. A honour. (For those who don't know, Bhanu didi is Guruji's sister and a very senior teacher of Art of Living courses.) She had very little (just curd rice) and left soon.

By the time we served ourselves the second round, our table was taken. We found a table with a couple of chairs free and seated ourselves there. We put our plates down and look up to see Narayan Murthy and Nandan Nilekani seating almost opposite to us. With them there was K. Dinesh and someone called Paddy. We put our heads down and had our dinner. I wanted to say something, but nothing came to my mind. I kept thinking about Arvindh - I'm sure he would have loved to speak to them. I tried to overhear the conversation the greater mortals across the table were having - they were speaking something about the Croatian President and then about some land in Chennai. And they didn't eat much, NRN had only bowl of curd and we were hogging away!!

This is surely one story for my grandchildren. Well, its not everyday you share a table with such distinguished people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment